Competitions Portraiture: Looking at Photography
International Deadline: August 9, 2017 – Black Box Gallery will host a juried group photography exhibition on contemporary portrait photography.
Pose and Gesture, Image and Identity, Documentary and Street, Constructed Narrative, Self Portrait, Environmental, Vernacular and Snapshot, Family Narrative, Fashion and Nude, all have visual statements to make in the world of portraiture photography. What is the character, attitude and expression of contemporary portrait photography?
Exhibition Dates: September 1-20, 2017
Opening Reception: Friday September 1, 6-8:00 pm
The exhibition is open to all photographers world wide, both amateur and professional.
JUROR: Annick Sjobakken
Annick Sjobakken is a Des Moines based photographer and educator. She received her BFA in Photography in 2003 from Parsons School of Design and her MFA in Photography, Video, and Related Media from the School of Visual Arts in 2009. Her work has been featured in The New York Times Magazine… see more
BENEFITS & AWARDS
- Each exhibition will have 24 photographs selected by the juror for exhibition at the gallery.
- An additional 30 photographs will be selected by the juror for exhibition in our on-line gallery annex.
- All 54 photographs from the show will be included in a catalog available for purchase on Blurb Books.
- All exhibition prints will be kept in a flat file after the show for future sale and promotion for the photographer. This will allow the gallery to further promote our photographers and exhibitions to collectors, curators, critics and to the general public. Black Box will shread all gallery prints after 5 years of exhibition in the flat files.
FREE PRINTING & FRAMING
Black Box provides free printing, Free matting and Free framing for all of our exhibitions. We have 18” x 24” black frames. Our white mats are pre cut for 12” x 18”, 12” x 12” and 12” x 16” prints (we also have a few other odd sized matts). We print on an Epson Stylus Pro archival ink jet printer, on Epson Premium Luster Photo paper, in a color-calibrated environment. This is a very accurate custom print, just like a custom lab would print, we have over 20 years of custom printing experience.
$35 per entry (an entry includes up to 5 photos). Use PayPal on our website or send check.
HOW TO APPLY
We accept entry via email. Please visit us online for easy instructions.
In the body of the email you will include the following info:
- Your Name
- Exhibition Name: ‘Portraiture: Looking at Photography’
- Titles of Included Photos with corresponding file name
- Attach up to 5 photos, as instructed below
- File Set Up: Jpeg files, 1024 pixels on the longest side at 72 DPI, 3MB or less each (saved).
- Name Files: firstname_lastname1.jpg, firstname_lastname2.jpg, firstname_lastname3.jpg, etc
All photographers will be notified 10-14 days after the deadline about juror selections. The photographers who are selected into the exhibition by the juror will provide a high resolution Tiff or JPEG file for our gallery to print.
Black Box Gallery takes a 50% commission on all sales, 50% goes to the photographer. If artist prefers the print does not have to be for sale. Print will be for exhibition and promotion only.
All rights to the photographs remain with the photographer.
Black Box Gallery is dedicated to the exhibition of contemporary photography and provides important opportunities for emerging and established photographers.
Black Box supports and encourages the creative production, exhibition and critical appreciation for contemporary photography. Exhibited Artists have come from Russia, Germany, Japan, New York, Chicago, London, San Francisco, Korea, Iceland, Los Angeles, Portland, Australia, China, Houston, Seattle and everywhere in-between.
Black Box Gallery
811 East Burnside St. # 212
Portland Oregon 97214