Competitions Narrative: People, Places and Things
International Deadline: June 10, 2016 – This juried group photo show at Black Box Gallery will focus on Narrative and Story Telling. Photography is a descriptive medium of visual communication. Narrative photography is the documentation of moments and events describing the structure and context of who, what, where, when, why and how we create and share visual stories.
Exhibition Dates: July 1-20, 2016
Opening Reception: Friday July 1, 6-8:00 pm
JUROR: Christy Karpinski
Christy Karpinski is the founder and editor of F-Stop Magazine, an online photography magazine that promotes contemporary photography from established and emerging photographers from around the world to inspire and support a community of artists. Christy has a background in Women’s Studies and Sociology as well as an MFA in photography. She teaches at Columbia College Chicago..… (see more)
BENEFITS & AWARDS
- Each exhibition will have 24 photographs selected by the juror for exhibition at the gallery.
- An additional 30 photographs will be selected by the juror for exhibition in our on-line gallery annex.
- All 54 photographs from the show will be included in a catalog available for purchase on Blurb Books.
- Black Box will provide Free printing, Free matting and Free framing for all of our exhibitions.
- All exhibition prints will be kept in a flat file after the show for future sale and promotion for the photographer. This will allow the gallery to further promote our photographers and exhibitions to collectors, curators, critics and to the general public. Black Box will shread all gallery prints after 5 years of exhibition in the flat files.
The photographers who are selected into the exhibition by the juror will provide a high resolution Tiff or JPEG file for our gallery to print.
We have 18” x 24” black frames. Our white mats are pre cut for 12” x 18”, 12” x 12” and 12” x 16” prints (we also have a few other odd sized matts). We print on an Epson Stylus Pro archival ink jet printer, on Epson Premium Luster Photo paper, in a color-calibrated environment. This is a very accurate custom print, just like a custom lab would print, we have over 20 years of custom printing experience.
Black Box Gallery takes a 50% commission on all sales, 50% goes to the photographer. If artist prefers the print does not have to be for sale. Print will be for exhibition and promotion only.
$35 per entry (an entry includes up to 5 photos). Use PayPal on our website or send check. If sending a check: please indicate sending a check in the email submission.
Black Box Gallery
811 East Burnside St. # 212
Portland Oregon 97214
HOW TO APPLY
Send in the entry fee and then send an email with the title of the email ‘People, Places and Things’, to: email@example.com
In the body of the email please include the following info:
- Your Name
- Exhibition Name
- Titles of Included Photos with corresponding file name
- Attach up to 5 photos, as instructed below
- File Set Up: Jpeg files, 1024 pixels on the longest side at 72 DPI, 3MB or less each (saved).
- Name Files: firstname_lastname1.jpg, firstname_lastname2.jpg, firstname_lastname3.jpg, etc
All photographers will be notified 10-14 days after the deadline about juror selections.
All rights to the photographs remain with the photographer.
Black Box Gallery is dedicated to the exhibition of contemporary photography and provides important opportunities for emerging and established photographers.
Black Box supports and encourages the creative production, exhibition and critical appreciation for contemporary photography. Exhibited Artists have come from Russia, Germany, Japan, New York, Chicago, London, San Francisco, Korea, Iceland, Los Angeles, Portland, Australia, China, Houston, Seattle and everywhere in-between.