Competitions Pop Up-On and Off the Wall
U.S. Multi-State Deadline: September 12, 2017 – First Street Gallery announces our 4th Season of Pop Up – On and Off the Wall, that will take place in January 2018. The series consists of 3, 3-day shows (Thur, Fri, Sat) held on three consecutive weekends in our large Chelsea Gallery.
The Gallery’s first three seasons of the Pop Up series have included a vibrant group of artists in a wide range of mediums – 2D, 3D, installation, photography, printmaking, painting and mixed media.
Each 3-day show highlights a select group of no more than 8 individual artists and is curated to create a group that is cohesive and complimentary. Opening receptions will be held on the first Thursday of each individual show.
Individual participants will have an exhibition area of approximately 14’ x 14’ of wall space (not necessarily contiguous). Artists with 3D work will be given the equivalent amount of floor space. Selected artists may, within reason, use their space in whatever manner they feel shows their work to its best advantage. Artists will be required to submit a planned layout prior to installation and are strongly encouraged to install their own work.
- Open to artists in NY, NJ, CT, MA, and PA who are at least 18 yrs. old.
- Exception: Artists currently represented by First Street Gallery and artists who have exhibited in any previous Pop-Up shows.
- Eligible works include ORIGINAL oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, drawings, prints, mixed media, photography, film, installation, and sculpture in any medium. All work must be suitably framed (or sides cleanly finished or painted), wired and ready for hanging. D-rings should be used for heavy works. 2D works on paper must be framed under plexiglass or glass.
- Sculptors must provide floor stand. (The gallery has a small number of stands which may be available for small sculpture, if your work is chosen please contact the gallery immediately if you wish to use one of ours.) Wall hung sculpture: maximum weight 30 lbs. Must have securely attached wire or other fixture(s) to hang. No work can be hung from ceiling or pipes.
- Accepted work may be refused if it does not conform to the entered image.
- Additional work that was not included in the original/accepted 5 submissions will be considered on a case by case basis. Approval of additional work is required.
- All work must remain in the gallery for the duration of the exhibition.
The gallery will take no commission on any work sold. Work not for sale must be marked “N.F.S.” No “P.O.R.” sales.
The fee is $50 for 5 images. Entry fees are non-refundable.
All entries must be submitted electronically.
- Judging will be done entirely from JPEGs. No other formats will be accepted. No PowerPoint Presentations or any other imaging software.
- JPEGs must be 72 dpi, They should be at least 600 pixels but not greater than 1200 pixels in any direction. Maximum file size for any individual image is 1 MB.
- The size given for works should be the framed size. *Height must be given before width regardless of whether the work is a vertical or a horizontal. The gallery will not correct dimension errors. Entry form must be filled out completely. Failure to follow the instructions may result in the nullification of your entry.
- JPEG images MUST BE labeled as follows: YOUR LAST Name_FIRST_Name_The number that corresponds with that work’s placement on the Entry Form (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.): smith_joe_1.jpg; smith_joe_2.jpg etc.
- Sculptors must submit two views of EACH work, at no extra cost, and label each work: smith_joe_1a.jpg; smith_joe_1b.jpg; smith_joe_2a.jpg; smith_joe_2b.jpg etc.
- Files which are mislabeled or lack the artist’s name will not be viewed by the juror.
DELIVERY OF WORK
- Hand-delivered work will be accepted at the gallery ONLY on Tuesday or Wednesday the week of your specific show. Please note that installation will also happen on Tues and Wed, so please allow enough time to deliver work and install.
- Floor stand must be brought with sculpture unless arrangements are made to use the Gallery stands.
- If you are shipping your work, it must arrive no later than Tuesday the week of your show.
- Please Note: Fragile/unprotected work which requires a professional preparator’s expertise should not be submitted to the Gallery.
- Hand-delivered work must be picked up on the Saturday of the show closing, 6 – 8 PM or Tuesday of the next week 11:30 am to 5:30 pm. Special arrangements can be made for alternate pickup times.
- If shipping work – you MUST supply a prepaid return label
- The gallery accepts no responsibility for work not retrieved on pick-up date and will charge the artist $5.00 a day thereafter for storage. After 30 days the gallery may dispose of the work.
Great care will be taken with all work, but artists are responsible for insuring their own pieces if they wish. First Street Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage to work while on the premises or in transit to or from the gallery. The payment of the entry fee will serve as your acceptance of the terms and conditions stated in this prospectus.
Acceptance of a work of art to this exhibition shall be understood to constitute an agreement on the part of the artist to the terms and conditions stated in this prospectus.
Sept 12 Entry Deadline
Sept 20 Notifications sent out by this date
- Jan 9 & 10 Hand delivery of work, 11 – 6 PM – shipped work must arrive by Tuesday 1/9
- Jan 9 & 10 Installation
- Jan 11 Exhibition opens
- Jan 11 Reception 6-8 PM
- Jan 13 Exhibition closes
- Jan 13 Pickup of hand-delivered work: 6 – 8 PM
- Jan 16 Pickup of hand-delivered work: 11:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Jan 16 & 17 Hand delivery of work, 11 – 6 PM – shipped work must arrive by Tuesday 1/16
- Jan 16 & 17 Installation
- Jan 18 Exhibition opens
- Jan 18 Reception 6-8 PM
- Jan 20 Exhibition closes
- Jan 20 Pickup of hand-delivered work: 6 – 8 PM
- Jan 23 Pickup of hand-delivered work: 11:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Jan 23 & 24 Hand delivery of work, 11 – 6 PM – shipped work must arrive by Tuesday 1/23
- Jan 23 & 24 Installation
- Jan 25 Exhibition opens
- Jan 25 Reception 6-8 PM
- Jan 27 Exhibition closes
- Jan 27 Pickup of hand-delivered work: 6 – 8 PM
- Jan 28 Pickup of hand-delivered work: 11 AM – 1 PM
First Street Gallery’ is a nonprofit contemporary art gallery located in the heart of Chelsea, steps from the High Line. We offer two exhibition spaces on the second floor of a prominent Gallery building.
Through innovative programming that brings art and the community together, First Street Gallery’ continues to nurture, educate, inspire and challenge artists everywhere. As an artist run gallery, we encourage members to pursue and determine the course of their own artistic careers.
First Street Gallery
526 West 26th Street, Suite 209
New York, New York 10001
tel (646) 336-8053