Residencies Est-Nord-Est’ Funded Artist Residencies
International Deadline: October 1, 2016 – Est-Nord-Est is an artist-run centre in which the principal mandate is to give production support to artists engaged in the process of research / creation through its residency program. The residency periods in the spring, summer and fall bring together up to four artists at a time, as well as a curator or a writer of contemporary art. For eight weeks, the artists have the opportunity to create and work in a stimulating and vibrant cultural environment.
Originally based on the idea of an encounter between contemporary sculpture practices and those using traditional skills, Est-Nord-Est today welcomes artists from all disciplines who have a contemporary visual art practice. The residencies at Est-Nord-Est are intended for both established and emerging professional artists from all around the world. Est-Nord-Est is part of Res Artis – Worldwide Network of Artist Residencies, one of the host organizations for Pépinières européenes pour jeunes artistes and a member of the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec.
Est-Nord-Est is located in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, a village on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, about 115 kms from Quebec City and 350 kms from Montreal. The region features a strong presence of farmland and forests along with the maritime atmosphere of the River.
The residency of 8 weeks includes the following:
- An honorarium of 1215 $ CA;
- Lodging in a house close to the studios, which is shared with the other artists and the curator or writer;
- Access to a private studio;
- Technical and logistical support;
- Access to wood and metal workshops as well as tools for working various materials such as stone, ceramics and so on;
- Access to a computer and audiovisual material;
- Use of a bicycle.
Spring: May 1 to June 23, 2017 / Summer: July 3 to August 25, 2017 / Fall: September 4 to October 27, 2017.
Given the impending work on the Est-Nord-Est : Tous Azimuts! building project, some changes may take place concerning the holding of the 2017 residencies. Est-Nord-Est will communicate these changes to the people concerned.
Your file must include:
- A curriculum vitae (two pages maximum PDF format);
- An artist’s statement (one page maximum PDF format);
- A letter presenting your research project, including any specific needs in terms of technical resources (one page maximum PDF format);
- 10 to 15 visual images (JPG) of your work, along with a description list of the images;
- For videos, include a link (Vimeo, You Tube, etc.). Please be sure that the videos remain online until mid-April 2017.
A jury of peers evaluates the applications. Est-Nord-Est attempts to bring together artists whose practices are of a complementary nature or are in dialogue with each other, and are appropriate to the specificity of the residency.
Est-Nord-Est makes its choices according to the following:
- The artistic quality of the proposal;
- The repercussions of the residency on the art career;
- A constructive mix of art practices;
- A mix of genders and generations;
- A representation of artists from Quebec, Canada and around the world.
Our mandate targets both the development of research and the support for dissemination of contemporary art. As an organization dedicated to art production, our activities consist of encouraging research and reflection on contemporary art and its processes through group residencies of artists, curators, and writers in contemporary art. The dissemination activities aim to increase the impact of the work developed in residency.
Est-Nord-Est, résidence d’artistes
335, avenue de Gaspé Ouest
Canada, G0R 3G0