Call for Submissions Making Connections: Artists Working In Queens
U.S. Regional Deadline: August 1, 2017 – Long Island City Artists (LIC-A) announces a juried, open-call exhibition open to artists working in queens.
LIC-A’s aim is to increase awareness and appreciation of the richly diverse art produced throughout Queens. Included will be a continuous digital presentation with images of participating artists in their studios and workshops, describing how the growth of art studios and the presence of artists in every area of Queens has enriched all aspects of community life wherever they occur.
Meet-the-Artists events will be scheduled for each venue to enable conversation and connection between the artists and community residents and businesses. We also plan to create a video documentary on the various arts groups we connect with in the Borough .
- August 31 – October 1, 2017 at the Plaxall Gallery, 5-25 46 Avenue Long Island City. Opening reception September 9, 3-6 pm
- October 26-January 30, 2018 at the Henry De Ford Iii Gallery, Citigroup Bldg, Court SQ, Long Island City; reception
- Open to Queens artists at least 18 yrs. old.
- Works may include ORIGINAL oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, drawings, prints, mixed media, photography, and sculpture in any medium
- No giclées or similar reproductions.
- All work must be suitably framed (or sides cleanly finished or painted), with appropriate hardware ready for hanging. D-rings should be used for heavy works. 2D works on paper must be framed under plexi-glass or glass.
- Standing sculpture: maximum weight is 50 lbs. Maximum width or depth of sculpture is 30 inches. No height limit.
- Sculptors must provide floor stand with a maximum footprint of 30″ x 30
- Wall hung sculpture: maximum weight 40 lbs., maximum width 40 inches, maximum depth 10 inches. No height limit. Must have securely attached wire or other fixture(s) to hang. No work can be hung from ceiling or pipes.
- Size limitations: max width preferred is 40″ wide, BUT if your work is unusually large, you should inquire about limitations at firstname.lastname@example.org; NOTE: work selected for inclusion at Henry DeFord III Gallery cannot exceed 24″ width; therefore it is recommended that applicants include at least one small work when submitting examples.
- The Henry De Ford III Gallery cannot exhibit large free-standing sculpture. The Plaxall Gallery can.
This exhibition is made possible (in part) by the Queens Council on the Arts with public funds from the NYC Dept. of Cultural Affairs.