Fellowships Peters Valley Artist Fellowships
U.S. National Deadline: February 1, 2017 – Peters Valley School of Craft was founded in 1970 in partnership with the U.S. National Park Service to promote and encourage education and excellence in craft. From our humble beginnings as an artist colony to our recognition today as an internationally renowned center of fine craft, our presence in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area defines Peters Valley and the experience for our visitors, resident artists and students.
Peters Valley is pleased to announce five artist fellowships for the full 2017 workshop season for one individual in each of the following studios:
- Fine Metals
- Special Topics (glass, printmaking, painting, etc).
There will also be a shorter fellowship offered for one individual for our Youth Art Program. This will run for the months of July & August:
This is the perfect opportunity for an experienced energetic artist with great people skills and strong working knowledge of a fine craft studio. Fellows will have the opportunity to work in a fully equipped studio and work with some of our nations most prominent artists in their fields.
- Studio space and full access to all equipment
- Network and work alongside outstanding professional artists in your field
- Hands-on experience managing a studio
- Opportunities to show and sell your work in the Peters Valley Gallery & weekly auctions
- Participate in field trips and special event
- Join a supportive community of artists working in a variety of mediums that will be your professional network long after you leave
HOUSING / STIPENDS
Spend the summer living in a historic house in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, where our campus is located. Meals provided when the dining hall is open (5 days per week).
$4,000 stipend (full season fellowships) or $1,600 stipend (July & August)
- Bachelors degree or equivalent studio experience. Master’s degree a plus.
- Knowledge of studio operations & equipment
- The ability to work independently as well as work well with others
- Good communication skills and the ability to address issues diplomatically
Enthusiasm for your craft!
- Oversee all studio operations such as ordering workshop supplies, inventory and equipment maintenance.
- Assisting & accommodating visiting instructors and students
- Oversee the studio assistants and help them with workshop prep and clean-up
- Monitoring some evening open studio hours
- Assist with special events when needed
- Act as a representative of Peters Valley
Workshops run 9am to 5pm Friday through Tuesday. Studios are open in the evenings for students to work, generally until about 10pm. Friday evenings visiting instructors present slides to the staff & students. Most instructors arrive on Thursday evenings, fellows are asked to welcome them upon their arrival and make sure they have studio access if requested.
Artist Fellows must be available during the entire workshop season (mid-May through mid-September). Ideally the candidate will be available from April 10- through December but must be available from May 4tht-September 8th.
Please send your completed application by February 1, 2017
Online: via Dropbox (to Jennifer Apgar)
Be sure to label your documents & images with your name.
Or by mail to:
Peters Valley School of Craft
Attention: Artist Fellow Program
19 Kuhn Road
Layton, NJ 07851
Peters Valley School of Craft provides equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age or disability.
Peters Valley’s programs include adult summer workshops. youth programs, opportunities for artists, special studio programs, public exhibitions, demonstrations, and outreach. PV maintains studios in 8 disciplines: Blacksmithing, Ceramics, Fiber Surface Design, Fiber Structure, Fine Metals, Photography, Special Topics and Woodworking.