Competitions 2nd Shoebox: An International Sculpture Exhibition
International Deadline: October 28; November 30, 2016 – SHOEBOX is an international juried competition featuring three-dimensional work designed to fit within the inner dimensions of a shoebox selected by each participating artist. Hosted at Middle Tennessee State University’s Todd Art Gallery.
Open to artists worldwide. Artists must be at least 18 years old. No media restrictions. Work must have been completed in the last 2 years. While work may be smaller than shoebox it may not exceed shoebox dimensions with lid in place. Any base and/or frame must be contained within shoebox. No exceptions! Exhibit closed to faculty & staff of Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU).
JUROR – Dr. Leslie King-Hammond
A native of the South Bronx King-Hammond was educated in the New York City public education system. After attending City University of New York and Johns Hopkins University she began teaching art history at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). Later appointed Dean of Graduate Studies she retired in 2008 as Graduate Dean Emerita.
During her storied career King-Hammond has served as the Founding Director of the new Center for Race and Culture at MICA, received a number of Mellon Grants, and a Trustee Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Other honors include the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture’s Chairperson of the Board and Chairperson of the Collections and Exhibits Committee… See more bio here.
- Best of Show – $1,000.00
- Award of Excellence (Second Place) – $500.00
- Each applicant is free to select any shoebox for use from baby-size shoes to boots.
- Shoebox must be used to encase and accompany the shipment of each exhibit selected work.
- Shoebox is intended only as a size guide, not for incorporation into work or as part of display unless that is artist’s desire.
- Shoebox must have been commercially produced and feature the brand of shoe originally contained.
- Double box work after placing work in shoebox first for added shipping protection & packing efficiency.
- Once emptied after delivery shoeboxes will be used for promotional purposes and returned with work at close of exhibit.
- October 28, 2016: Deadline for discount application (Up to three works for $25.00)
- November 30, 2016: All entries must be received by this date (Up to three works for $35.00)
See Prospectus/Application for local and international shipping instructions. Accepted artists cover shipping costs to Todd Art Gallery. Return shipping will be covered by the exhibition at no cost to the artist.
- December 16, 2016 – Artists will be notified of the status of their entries.
- January 6, 2016 – Accepted works due at Todd Art Gallery.
- 5 p.m., January 19, 2017 – Exhibition Opening & Juror Awards
- February 9, 2017 – Exhibition closes
Eric V. Snyder
Gallery Coordinator, Todd Art Gallery
Department of Art
Middle Tennessee State University
tel: 615.898.5532 or 615.542.6368
NOTE: your submission grants MTSU use of your images for purposes of promotion, archiving, and publicity. You also understand that proper credit will be provided with each image use.