Call for Submissions 2019 Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit
U.S. National Deadline: October 22, 2018 – The City of Cape Girardeau Public Art Committee is now accepting submissions from qualified sculptors to participate in the Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition, April 11, 2019 – April 1, 2020 along the Broadway Corridor in downtown Cape Girardeau, MO.
Each artist selected for the exhibition will receive a $1,000 honorarium to cover transportation, installation and de-installation of the sculpture, and all other expenses involved. Any costs over $1,000 are entirely the responsibility of the artist.
The Cape Girardeau Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition is open to all applicants 18 and older. All entries must be original work and of safe design and construction. Acceptable entries may be existing works, completed prior to the submission, or detailed sculpture proposals.
Suitable outdoor work ready for installation must be:
- able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad with 3/8 to 1/2 inch anchor bolts, or able to sit safely on the ground with no possibility of tipping. Concrete pads are 4′ x 4′, but other sizes may be accepted upon review.
- capable of withstanding adverse weather conditions, high winds, extreme summer heat, and freezing conditions. – maintenance free for the duration of the exhibition.
- safe for the general public (no sharp edges, no climbing hazards, no breakable or bendable components, of a height that would not create a balance hazard, etc.) Works judged as unsuitable will not be considered for the exhibition.
Stephanie Sailer received her M.F.A. from the University of Kansas, with an emphasis in Sculpture, with a prior M.A. and B.F.A. from the University of Northern Iowa. Upon completion, she worked as an Academic Advisor at the University of Iowa, providing insight into the academic, social, and intellectual development of the college student. She is currently working as an Art Instructor and Advisor at Northern Illinois University and McHenry County College.
DOWNLOAD PROSPECTUS & APPLICATION
All entries and questions must be emailed.
Artists may sell the exhibiting artwork during the exhibition period. However, exhibiting artwork may not be removed until the exhibition has concluded on April 1, 2020. The City of Cape Girardeau stipulates a 10% commission on all sales of exhibited artwork which will be returned to the Arts Council of Southeast Missouri for reinvesting in public art.
- October 22, 2018 Deadline for email submissions at 11:59PM. No late submissions will be accepted. Email Notification will be sent to verify receipt of submissions.
- December 11, 2018 Email notification to artists of selected work. Contracts mailed and final installation requirements requested.
- December 28, 2018 Contracts and installation requirements due.
- April 10 & 11, 2019 Installation of artwork to be completed by 2PM on April 11th.
- April 11, 2019 Exhibition Reception.
- April 12, 2019 Honoraria mailed.
- April 1, 2020 Exhibition closes. De-Installation of artwork.