Call for Submissions Artists In Action 2019
U.S. National Deadline: December 7, 2018 – Annmarie Sculpture Garden and Arts Center, in Association with the Smithsonian Institution, announces a call for entries for ‘Artists In Action 2018′, a short-term studio, show and sale program.
From January 11-February 26, 2019, Annmarie’s spectacular Main Gallery will be transformed into temporary artist studios, providing a serene retreat and experimental space for artists to develop new works, display and sell their work, network with other artists, and share their creative process with visitors. Artists are invited to sign-up for 1-2 week periods, limited housing available.
Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center seeks artists working in any media to submit proposals to set up a working studio space in the Main Gallery for 1-2 week periods. These studios will be set up much like a “booth,” utilizing the artist’s own supplies and equipment.
- All media types are welcome.
- The exhibition is open to all artists age 18 and older who are living and working in the United States.
- Proposals must include an artist’s statement & resume, a sketch and written description of the proposed studio setup, a brief description of your activity/project for guests, a short description of your artistic process, and a portfolio of at least 6 images of your most recent work.
- All art equipment that will be used during the living gallery must be supplied by the artist and approved by the Curator of Exhibitions. Annmarie will provide up to five – 8’ tables for your studio setup.
- Please note: artists may be asked to refrain from using certain paints when school groups are touring the gallery. Outdoor work space can be arranged for artists that utilize paints and other supplies and materials with strong fumes.
Artists are expected to be present in their studio booth during the majority of their scheduled period (which must include at least one weekend). Artists are encouraged to sell artwork in their booths. In addition, artists are asked to create an activity for visitors, as simple or as complex as you wish, that will allow visitors to experiment with your materials and creative process.
$20 non-refundable application fee.
Each Proposal/entry will be reviewed and notification of acceptance will be made within 10 business days of receiving the application. Final deadline for all applications is December 7, 2018. Notification of acceptance will be made on or before December by December 14, 2018.
All sales will run through the Annmarie Gift Shop, where the appropriate sales tax will be collected. Annmarie will retain a 20% commission on all sales.
For those artists traveling from outside of the southern Maryland area, Annmarie allows use of an artist’s apartment located on site. This space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Deadline to apply: December 7, 2018
Notification of decision: on or before December 14, 2018
Artists In Action: January 11 – February 26, 2019
An affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, Annmarie is a thirty-acre sculpture garden and arts center located in scenic Solomons, Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay. The sculpture garden features a walking path that meanders through the forest, past permanent and loaned sculpture, including more than forty works on loan from the Smithsonian Institution and the National Gallery of Art.
The garden also presents a variety of special events, gallery shows, and engaging public art programs throughout the year. The Studio School offers creative classes taught by a talented faculty. The award-winning Arts Building is a 15,000 sq.ft. museum-grade exhibition space that includes two large galleries, a gift shop, the artLAB, and a sunny patio that offers lovely views of the outdoor sculpture.
Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center
In Association with the Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 99, 13480 Dowell Road
Dowell (Solomons), MD 20629
Gallery hours: T-F 2-7pm, Sat.12-5pm.