Portfolio Art in General’ Open Call
International Deadline: Ongoing – Founded in 1981, Art in General facilitates the production and exhibition of new work and aims to provide artists with an optimal support structure and venue in which to realize and present their work, whether this format entails an exhibition, event, performance, location-based work in the public domain, or the very platforms of discursive space (i.e. publication, website, etc.). There are a variety of programs that support this mission, including solo commissioned exhibitions and projects, residencies, a site-specific elevator program, and off-site projects.
Responding to the current state of artistic and curatorial practice, Art in General’s Open Call has shifted from its once-a-year online deadline to a more fluid model of receiving and reviewing artists’ work. Artists are encouraged to submit project proposals at any point throughout the year–Art in General’s curatorial staff will review submissions quarterly.
Proposals should be formatted in a PDF and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know that you saw this announcement on “ArtDeadline.Com”.
All artists, regardless of age, gender, and nationality. Artists who are or will be enrolled in a college or university art degree-granting program are not eligible to apply
APPLICATION & REVIEW PROCESS
- Submissions will be reviewed quarterly throughout the year and must be sent via email as a PDF.
- All submissions must be sent to email@example.com. Please report that you saw this announcement on “ArtDeadline.Com”.
- Applications that do not follow the guidelines and/or which are hand delivered or mailed will not be accepted or reviewed.
- Art in General will select artists based on artistic strength, vision, and professional capability, as well the artist’s relevance to curatorial concepts identified for the upcoming programming at Art in General.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS & GUIDELINES
- Artists should format their proposal/submission as a PDF. PDFs should not exceed 10MB.
- Artists should only submit a brief written outline of the proposed exhibition or project (e.g. no more than 250 words), along with supporting material. There is no need to include a proposed budget for the project.
- Artists should label their PDF to include their full name. Example: JoeSmith_AIG.PDF, JoeSmith_AIGProposal.PDF
- Artists should format their PDF to include their full contact information, address, phone number, and email.
- Artists should format their PDF to include any or all images within the body of the PDF. Both supporting images and images of past work (including captions) can be submitted but are not required. Additional material sent alongside the PDF will not be reviewed.
- PDF’s can include links to websites, video hosting services (YouTube/Vimeo) as well as links to galleries, previous exhibitions, and/or past reviews.
Please note: Due to the volume of submissions Art in General can only respond to those artists whose proposals best fit the interest of the organization. A limited number of artists will be contacted for further information and/or studio visits quarterly. No calls please
Art in General
145 Plymouth Street
Dumbo, Brooklyn, NY 11201