Festivals Belfast Photography Festival
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
International Deadline: March 17, 2017 – Belfast Photo Festival is offering artist’s /photographers the opportunity to exhibit their work in the main Festival gallery alongside some of the biggest names in the field of photography, with a number also having the opportunity to be featured in the arts magazine Abridged. The winners will be eligible for a number of awards, including a cash prize (see below).
The theme has been left open to remove any restrictions; submissions must be photographic or lens-based but can include incorporations of other art forms with the photographic medium (i.e. performance, painting, sculpture, music, literature etc).
Individuals and collectives are welcome to apply; individuals should select and enter between two and six photographs from a particular series or body of work AND/OR submit their Photo-book for exhibition by uploading a single PDF (no image limit).
The Open Submission Exhibition will be presented at the Festival Photo Park in the heart of Belfast City and the center of the Cultural Cathedral Quarter.
Entry is open to all photographers, artists, curators, archives, collectives from anywhere in the world. The Jury will be looking for high quality work. Submissions must be photographic or lens based but can include incorporations of other art forms with the photographic medium (i.e. performance, painting, sculpture, film, music, literature etc)
The Jury will consider photographs, photo-media, performance, photo-films, photo-books, new media, archives and sculptural forms. All works must be practical within the Festival guidelines and dates. Applicants must be Age 16+
The Belfast Photo Festival has invited a panel of influential international experts in the field of photography to assist in the shortlisting and selection of artist’s alongside the Festival team. The Jury consist of:
- Lucy Gallun – Assistant Curator: Museum of Modern Art, MoMA (USA)
- James Estrin – Lens Co-Editor: The New York Times (USA)
- Elisa Medde – Managing Editor: foam Magazine (Netherlands)
- Michael Mack – Publisher: MACK Books (UK)
- Emily Graham – Cultural Commissions & Partnerships Manager: Magnum Photos (UK)
- Tom Seymour – Digital Editor: British Journal of Photography (UK)
- Kevin WY Lee – Creative Director: Invisible Photographer Asia, IPA (Singapore)
- Ciara Hickey – Curator: Belfast Exposed Photography Gallery (UK)
- Spotlight Award – £1,000 (e.s.t $1,240 / €1,123)
- Years Free RPS Membership – Free membership for one year to the prestigious Royal Photographic Society
- Blow Editorial Award – Full editorial presentation in an upcoming issue of Blow photographic magazine (Lucie Award Shortlisted)
- Abridged Editorial Award – Presentation in a special Festival issue of Abridged Magazine
Each year our Open Submission award-winners receive international press coverage from publications and media outlets around the world. Winners, finalists and entrants have been featured in major publications such as, The Guardian, TIME Lightbox, Foam, The Financial Times, British Journal of Photography, The Telegraph, among many other national and international outlets. This kind of press exposure can lead to viral, global recognition of your work.
Entry for a single Project/Body of Work/Photo-book application is subject to a non-refundable fee of £19 to be paid on submission. Entrants are welcome to make more than one application but the non-refundable £19 will be payable for each application.
Download complete Prospectus and entry instructions.
The Belfast Photo Festival is a not for profit organisation that presents one of the leading International Festivals of photography in the United Kingdom and the Visual Arts Festival of Northern Ireland.
Launched in 2011, this major photographic event attracts over 80 thousand visitors a year, celebrating some of the finest National and International contemporary photography across 30 museums, galleries and public venues.
The Festival consists of exhibitions, talks, symposiums, workshops, screenings, masterclasses, portfolio reviews and tours.