Art Calls Dynamic: Shadow and Light
International Deadline: February 11, 2022 – Photography is the recording of patterns of darkness and light. Shadows enhance the relationships of subjects in an image, they give definition and dimension, which compliments the quality of the light values. Photographers have used dramatic shadows and patterns in black and white images and have also explored using ethereal and moody shadows and textures in color photography.
We will be looking for a range of how shadow and light are interpreted by contemporary photographers.
Todd Johnson is the founder and director of Black Box Gallery. Todd received his MFA in Photography from the San Francisco Art Institute. He has been a photography portfolio reviewer for Photolucida (PDX OR), Critical Mass (PDX OR), Dodho Magazine (Barcelona, Spain) and Blue Sky Gallery (PDX OR). Todd has worked as an independent curator for exhibitions at Linfield College (McMinnville, OR), Gallery Homeland (PDX OR), Mile Post 5 (PDX OR), The Waiting Room Gallery (Minneapolis, MN), 4X Gallery (PDX OR) and The Gorilla Art Gallery (San Francisco, CA). He has worked in arts education and arts administration for 25 years… see more
- Each exhibition will have 24 photographs selected by the juror for exhibition at the gallery.
- An additional 30 photographs will be selected by the juror for exhibition in our on-line gallery annex.
- All 54 photographs from the show will be included in a catalog available for purchase on Blurb Books.
- Black Box will provide Free printing, Free matting and Free framing for all of our exhibitions.
- All exhibition prints will be kept in a flat file after the show for future sale and promotion for the photographer. This will allow the gallery to further promote our photographers and exhibitions to collectors, curators, critics and to the general public.
$40 per entry (an entry includes up to 5 photos).
All photographers will be notified 10-12 days after the deadline about juror selections.
Black Box Gallery is dedicated to the exhibition of contemporary photography. Black Box’s juried international photo shows provide important opportunities for emerging and mid-career photographers. Black Box supports and encourages the creative production, exhibition and critical appreciation of contemporary photography.
Black Box Gallery
811 East Burnside St. #212
Portland, Oregon 97214