Residencies ECAR 2020
International Deadline: October 1, 2019 – The Emmanuel College Art Department offers an eight-week artists residency to four artists each summer from mid June to mid August. The residency supports a diverse group of artists, providing time and space for established and emerging artists to develop their work.
The Art Department specifically aims to award a residency to one individual from each of the four categories: ceramics, photography, printmaking and social justice. Fostering creative and artistic excellence, the residency also plays an important role in advancing the visual arts on the Emmanuel campus, providing an important educational program on contemporary art accessible to students, staff and faculty.
The residency defines Emmanuel College as a leader in the visual arts and brings greater visibility to that leadership role beyond the confines of the College.
Emmanuel College accepts applications from July 1st through October 1, 2019.
- Artists must not be currently enrolled in any academic program
- Residency is from mid June to mid August – exact dates will be announced in late March
- Artists will receive a stipend of $1000 dollars and possible reimbursement for travel and visa up to an additional $1000.
- Lodging is provided in the college dorms or apartments, with access to a small kitchen.
- Artists may be invited back for a presentation or demo during the following academic year based on teaching needs
- Residents have access to communal college studio facilities with ample space sharing – ceramics, wood shop, print shop, darkroom, photo studio, desing lab and drawing studio
- Artists must devote 3 hours to Emmanuel’s summer art history course, Contemporary Art and Artistic Practice, discussing their own process.
- Emmanuel will host a closing exhibition for all resident artists to participate in and show the larger community the end result of your work.
- Artists are responsible for all material and food costs during the residency.
- Artists will donate one piece to Emmanuel College at the end of the residency.
- Resideny is awarded to individual artists only – partners and spouses are not included.
- No pets are not allowed.
Emmanuel will host a closing exhibition for all resident artists to participate in and show the larger community the end result of your work. Artists will donate one piece to Emmanuel College at the end of the residency.
- 10-20 digital images of work (5-10 MB jpeg, 300 dpi)
- Image list with dimensions and artwork medium
- Artist statement
- Letter of intent: please describe your plan for your time at the residency
* Applications may also be submitted via post in digital format on a USB.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or technical difficulties.
* Please note: We cannot confirm receipt of your mailed application. Please obtain delivery confirmation through the delivery provider. Application materials will not be returned.
Mail your application to:
Administrative Director of ECAR
400 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115