Fellowships Curatorial Fellowship for American Curators
U.S. National Deadline: March 15, 2018 – Étant donnés Contemporary Art aims to strengthen ties between France and the U.S. in the field of contemporary art by fostering active collaboration and encouraging long-lasting partnerships between French visual artists, curators, and collectives and American curators and cultural institutions. The fund supports the discovery of emerging talents, while also sustaining interest in established artists. Furthermore, it has been instrumental in creating a network of curators from France and the U.S. Since its inception, Étant donnés has developed an international reputation by allocating over USD 3 million to fund more than 300 projects and 16 curators.
Curatorial Fellowship for American Curators for research in France taking place anytime between June 2018 and June 2019
Etant donnés offers grants to American curators wishing to conduct and deepen their research in contemporary art in France. These grants are intended to expand the opportunities of American curators, to encourage in-depth explorations of French cultural resources, and to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and knowledge among artists, professionals, researchers, and institutions.
Candidates are encouraged to connect with art professionals and other researchers as well as with institutions, universities, art schools, or private and public archives in preparation for future exhibitions or collaborations.
Artistic field: Visual arts
The candidates must:
- Be U.S. citizens or legal residents of the United States for at least 5 years;
- Be affiliated with institutions or a freelance curator working in the field of contemporary art;
- Have a minimum of 3 years of research or provide evidence of significant professional practice;
- Have a clearly defined curatorial research project with a French partner organization or individuals; There is no age limit to participate.
If needed, the Cultural services of the French Embassy in collaboration with Institut Français can facilitate the research by providing tailored advice, facilitating access to resources, and contacts with the right professional networks in France.
Priority will be given to curatorial fellowships planning to present the result of the research in one way or another in the U.S. via an exhibition, publication, talk, lecture, screening, performance, etc.
Applicants affiliated to institutions must obtain authorization from their institution to travel for the proposed research.
Research projects submitted must take place between June 2018 and June 2019.
The grant is intended to contribute to covering the costs of transportation, lodging, per diems, insurance, and any costs related to the research trip. Maximum amount for each Curatorial Fellowship: $5,000
Applicants must provide:
- The application form filled out with the required information
- A PDF including: a short resume; and a letter clearly detailing the research project for which the grant is being requested, indicating the specific objectives of the curatorial fellowship : subject, methods, schedule, research goals, and an overview of pre-existing contacts; (Size of the file: max 5Mo – No “wetransfer”, “dropbox” etc).
DATES / APPLICATION
Download Application Form [PDF]
- Applications Due: March 15, 2018
- Review and final selection by Artistic Committee: Early April 2018
- Notification of Committee Selection: April 2018
- Research projects submitted must take place between June 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
Contact: Anne-Claire Duprat
Program Officer, Visual Arts, Architecture, Design
FACE Foundation (French American Cultural Exchange), an American 501(c)(3) operating foundation, is based in New York and works in partnership with the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the U.S.
Setting a new precedent in cultural relations, FACE pools private and public resources to support innovative dialogue and exchange in the fields of contemporary visual arts, performing arts, music, film, and secondary and higher education between the French-speaking world and the United States.
FACE Foundation – Étant donnés Contemporary Art
972 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10075