Competitions Space Invaders
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
International Deadline: October 15, 2017 – Fountain Street Gallery presents an international call for works that explore the concept of space. As an element of art, space refers to distances or areas around, between or within components of a piece. Space can be positive or negative, open or closed, shallow or deep, two-dimensional or three-dimensional, political or personal, etc. Sometimes space is an illusion.
Space Invaders’ aims to address space as in how it defines our world and the understanding of reality. This call is an open question and asks artists to interpret it widely when selecting works to submit.
Exhibition Dates: January 3, 2018 – January 28, 2018.
Space Invaders’ is open to everyone. The only limitation is that entries must represent original works created in the past three years, which address the theme in some considerable way.
This call is open to any and all media, traditional and nontraditional; two-dimensional and three-dimensional artwork is accepted.
Three awards will be distributed.
- Curator’s Choice (1): one year Annex membership at Fountain Street, a $400 value.
- Honorable Mention (2): free submission to the next Fountain Street call for art.
JUROR & CURATOR
Samuel Rowlett is an artist and writer living in Western Massachusetts. Utilizing wayfinding techniques, his work synthesizes performance, sculpture, and digital media, through the lens of painting and drawing. His artwork has been exhibited widely and his writing has been featured in Hyperallergic and Boston’s art journal, Big, Red & Shiny. Rowlett has received fellowships from Yale University School of Art, the Vermont Studio Center, and the Massachusetts Cultural Council Artist Fellowship in Sculpture/ Installation/ New Genres. His most recent curatorial projects include No Country For Old Men at Landmark College, Putney, VT, and The Known Universe, MASS MoCA Kidspace/Teenspace, North Adams, MA. Rowlett is an Associate Professor of Art at Landmark College in Putney, Vermont.
The submission fee is $36 for up to three entries. Two additional entries can be submitted for $10 each. Total number of entries is 5. Fees are non-refundable. Submission does not guarantee acceptance. Fountain Street Core Members may submit three pieces free of charge.
Accepted artists will be listed on the Fountain Street Fine Art website by November 15, 2017.
Work to be shipped to the gallery must be delivered by 5pm Fri. December 15, 2017.
Fountain Street receives 40% commission and the artist receives 60% on all sales of the work.
- Submission Deadline: Sunday, October 15, 2017, 11:59 PM
- Acceptance (listed on website): November 15, 2017
- Delivery of Artwork – Shipped work arrival deadline: Friday, December 15, 2017, 5:00 PM
- Hand delivered work drop off: Sat-Sun, December 16-17, 2017, 11:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Exhibition dates: Wednesday, January 3 – Sunday, January 28, 2018
- Opening reception and SoWa first Friday: Friday, January 5, 2018, 5:00-8:00 PM.
- Pick-up hand delivered artwork: January 28, 2018 between 5:00 – 8:00 PM; January 29, 2018 between 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Schedule shipped artwork for pickup: Monday, January 29, 2018 between 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Please email all questions in regard to this call-for-art to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fountain Street Gallery
460C Harrison Avenue, Suite 2
Boston, MA 02118