Competitions Oil Painters of America’ 28th National Juried Exhibition
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
International Deadline: January 25, 2019 – Oil Painters of America is pleased to announce a call for artists to participate in our Twenty-Eighth National Exhibition and Convention. The exhibition will be hosted by Illume Gallery of Fine Art, located in Saint George, Utah, from May 10 through June 7, 2019.
Convention activities begin on May 6, with a Wet Paint Competition in both studio and plein air divisions. Many informative and educational seminars are being planned for the convention, preceding the opening of the exhibition.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be approximately $100,000, including a $25,000 Best In Show.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens – both natural born or otherwise – of the United States, Canada, or Mexico who are 2019 OPA members (you can apply at time of registration). Nonresident aliens who currently live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months.
Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA National Exhibition. Submission must be originally conceived, artist’s own reference, own drawing, own concept and must have been self -painted.
Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
The awarding juror will be OPA Master Signature member Kenn Backhaus OPAM.
The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: one painting is $30.00, two paintings are $45.00 or three paintings are $60. Only one painting can be accepted. OPA is currently accepting new member applications here.
Sales commission of 40% is required by the gallery for all paintings sold. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS.
- January 25 – Deadline for submissions
- February 22 – Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
- April 15 to April 19 – Both shipped and hand delivered artwork to arrive at Illume Gallery of Fine Art
- May 6 – Convention begins
- May 10 – Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Awards Presentation: announcement of recipients of National awards, Wet Paint winners and introduction of newest Signature and Master Signature conferees at 7:30 p.m.
- May 10 through June 7 – Length of time show will be open for viewing. See sidebar for gallery hours
- June 10 through 14 – Local Artists: removal of paintings during this period. If not removed a storage fee will be charged. Illume Gallery of Fine Art thanks you!
Dedicated to preserving and promoting excellence in representational art, Oil Painters of America’s primary mission is to advance the cause of traditional, representational fine art by drawing attention to the lasting value of fine drawing, color, composition and the appreciation of light.
Through our national and regional shows, educational programs, scholarships and marketing efforts, OPA has become a leader in the art community and a driving force in the new Renaissance.
Oil Painters of America
P.O. Box 2488
Crystal Lake, Illinois 60039-2488