Residencies Rowan University Art Gallery: AIR 2018
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
International Deadline: February 25, 2018 – The Department of Art at Rowan University seeks a qualified professional visual artist for the Artist in Residence Program. The residency program supports the artistic development of professional artists while advancing creative and artistic excellence within the Rowan community. The residency period is one semester.
Rowan University is a mid‐sized state institution located in southern New Jersey. The Department of Art serves approximately 200 majors and employs 12 full‐time faculty. The curriculum includes courses in drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, graphic design, illustration, web design, video and animation, sculpture, metals/jewelry, ceramics, art education, and art history.
The mission of the Department of Art at Rowan University is to provide students an environment in which to explore self‐expression and scholarship, build knowledge and acquire skills, and develop an understanding of how creativity is articulated through fine art and design.
The Artist in Residence Program complements this mission by providing students with an opportunity to observe an artist at work and to engage in dialogue with the artist through talks, demonstrations, and open studio visits. Learn more about the department of art and the art gallery by visiting: www.rowan.edu/artgallery.
- Must reside in North America
- Must be a professional artist with an MFA
- Must be able to work on your own without assistance
- Cannot be a current or recent (within two years) employee of Rowan University
- Cannot be a current student or alumnus of Rowan University
- Work in the studio space at Rowan University for 12‐15 hours per week, with at least two days on campus per week when classes are in session
- Supply your own materials and hand tools
- Hold at least two open studio events to share current works-in-progress with the students and university community
- At the end of the semester, give a final public lecture about your artwork and the progress made during the residency period (this can be part of one of the two open studio events)
- Provide your own transportation to and from Rowan University
- Provide your own housing
- $3000 stipend for the semester
- 24 hour access to a 280 square foot studio space
- 24 hour access to the Department of Art studios when classes are not being held. Studios include printmaking, computer labs, photography dark room, ceramic facilities (mixer, kilns, wheels, slab roller)metals/jewelry (torches, casting equipment, rolling mill, enameling kilns), sculpture facilities (includingwoodshop, welding and metal fabrication)
OPTIONAL PROGRAMMING (Choose up to two options from the list)
- Gallery Exhibition at the beginning of the residency coordinated with the gallery director
- Give an introductory presentation about your artwork to the students, department, and university community or a gallery talk coinciding with the exhibition
- Propose a community or public engagement project – Please provide a brief description summarizing your intentions in your proposal
Though artists are encouraged to participate in one optional program component, the choice to participate will not effect the final selection of the visiting artist. If interested in one of these components, please specify this in your proposal.
Accepted by email only and all applications materials must be combined into one single PDF document:
- One page proposal or letter of residency project. Please include your name, address, email address,phone number, and website (if applicable)
- One-page artist’s statement
- Digital documentation of current work, consisting of 10 images sized to 72 dpi and approximately 8 x 10 in.Please include the title, date, medium, and dimensions for each work.
- For video works, please supply complete URLs in your PDF.DEADLINE FOR
SEND APPLICATION TO: Jillian Schley: email@example.com
Rowan University Art Gallery
301 High Street West
Glassboro, NJ 08028