Fellowships St. Elmo Arts Residency Fellowship
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
U.S. National Deadline: April 15, 2018 – The St. Elmo Arts Residency is a joint project of the University of Texas at Austin’s Department of Art and Art History and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. It offers one fellowship each academic year to a newly minted MFA artist in painting, drawing, print, photo, sculpture or multimedia.
The residency is situated in a beautifully renovated house and studio compound in the St. Elmo district of South Austin, located midway between the university campus and the Wildflower Center.
Residency period: August 2018 through Mid‑May 2019
- 24-hour access to a private 1800-square-foot studio
- Private furnished house capable of accommodating the fellow and a partner*
- 30,000 USD stipend
- Part-time teaching experience at UT Austin
- Part-time teaching experience at the Wildflower Center
- Solo exhibition at the Wildflower Center in restored 19th-century carriage house gallery (1800 square feet)
*Pet may be acceptable in living space upon approval and with pet deposit
- 9.5-month commitment
- Teach one class per semester (two classes total) in Studio Art in the Department of Art and Art History
- Teach one workshop per semester (two workshops total) at the Wildflower Center*
- Public lecture on your work
- Solo exhibition
For the residency beginning August 2018, only artists who graduated from an MFA program in Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 are invited to apply. If you graduated prior to Fall 2017, you are not eligible to apply. UT Austin students and alumni are not eligible to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please note—only digital applications will be accepted.
Application deadline: April 15, 2018, Midnight (Central Time)
All items below (artist materials, reference letters, and transcript) must be received by the application deadline.
The following three items must be submitted in PDF format. Place all PDFs into a single folder labeled lastname_firstname_st_elmo and share that folder via Google Drive with firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artist Statement (one page)
- Resume (include address, phone, email and website if available)
- Portfolio (20 images and documentation script, all within a single PDF)
For video: Upload to Vimeo and include link(s) in the documentation script. Total running time for all combined video clips must not exceed three minutes.
Two reference letters should be emailed to email@example.com.
Subject line: Lastname Firstname — St. Elmo Arts Residency
Mail an official copy of your transcript to the address below (even if you have yet to finish this semester).
St. Elmo Arts Residency
Department of Art and Art History
The University of Texas at Austin
2301 San Jacinto Blvd, Stop D1300
Austin, Texas 78712–1421
t: 512 471 1695
Questions after that email firstname.lastname@example.org