Call for Submissions The Clemente Open Call 2019
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
U.S. National Deadline: October 12, 2019 – We are pleased to invite independent curators, emerging artists and arts professionals to submit exhibition proposals to be considered for the two gallery spaces at The Clemente, the Abrazo Interno Gallery and the LES Gallery, from July 2020 to June 2021.
Application is open to US and non-US residents. Artists will be notified of selection in January 2020.
The Clemente is a Puerto Rican/Latino cultural institution that has demonstrated a broad-minded cultural vision and a collaborative philosophy. While the Clemente’s mission is focused on the cultivation, presentation, and preservation of Puerto Rican and Latino culture, it is equally determined to operate in a multicultural and inclusive manner, housing and promoting artists and performance events that fully reflect the cultural diversity of the Lower East Side and the city as a whole. Given that history and the increasing gentrification of Lower East Side, The Clemente’s Visual Arts program is dedicated to supporting alternatives voices, multi-cultural exchange and work that pushes the boundaries of its media.
The Clemente’s Visual Arts Review Panel, which includes independent museum professionals, curators, gallerists and arts educators, will select exhibitions for the Abrazo and LES Galleries based on the strength of the art and curatorial concept.
Please review the guidelines below before submitting:
- Submissions will be judged on merit; you do not have to be a professionally trained curator to submit a proposal
- Group exhibitions are strongly encouraged, however, show proposals for the work of a single artist will be considered.
- Only artists acting in a curatorial role for a proposed group exhibition may include their own work in a proposal, i.e. you may not submit a solo show for yourself.
- Submissions that include programming such as artist talks, community workshops and gallery tours are encouraged.
- Proposals that include an additional fee-based open call will not be considered.
- To be considered, Clemente Residents cannot constitute more than 25% of the artists in your proposal.
- We do not accept proposals from undergraduate or graduate students.
The Clemente does not discriminate based on age, gender, or nationality.
If funding allows, The Clemente may offer a stipend for curators and artists. Selected exhibits will run for 4-6 weeks.Gallery Open five days per week, Wednesday to Sunday, from Noon to 7:00pm. The galleries are closed Monday and Tuesday. The building is closed on all major holidays.
107 Suffolk Street
New York, NY 10002