Jobs Whitney Museum Seeks Assistant to the Chief Curator
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
U.S. National Deadline: Open Until Filled – A position is available for a full-time assistant reporting directly to the Nancy and Steve Crown Family Chief Curator. The incumbent will support the administration of a creative, fast-paced office, working as part of a team to ensure the smooth functioning of day-to-day operations.
- Assistance with all administrative matters related to the chief curator’s office and the curatorial department, including management of the chief curator’s calendar, drafting correspondence, travel and expense reports
- Organization of meetings (internal, external and patron groups)
- PowerPoints and other presentations; supervision of interns
- Maintaining curatorial departmental files and record-keeping, including tracking of budgets
- Supporting processes related to acquisitions and gifts
- Sorting mail and ordering supplies
- Communication with external contacts, including artists, trustees, donors, galleries, etc., as well as other museum departments such as Exhibitions and Collections Management,
- Advancement, Registration, and Research Resources
- The incumbent will work closely with the director of curatorial affairs and the curatorial assistant to the chief curator to carry out these duties.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years administrative experience, museum or gallery a plus
- Background in art history preferred
- Outstanding organizational ability and rigorous attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral skills; good working knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Excel, and
- PowerPoint; training in TMS preferred, but not required
- Diplomacy, confidentiality, and teamwork skills are crucial
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org and state “Assistant to Chief Curator” in the subject line.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applications, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the requirements of the job openings or internships. We will keep your resume on file should appropriate future openings become available. Please do not send catalogues or original materials. The Museum cannot assume responsibility for any original materials which are submitted. No calls, please.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other factor prohibited by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
Whitney Museum of American Art
99 Gansevoort Street
New York, NY 10014