Grants Andy Warhol Foundation Arts Writers
U.S. National Deadline: May 19, 2021 – The Andy Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant supports emerging and established writers who write about contemporary visual art. Ranging from $15,000 to $50,000 in three categories—articles, books, and short-form writing—the grants support projects addressing both general and specialized art audiences, from short reviews for magazines and newspapers to in-depth scholarly studies. We also support art writing that engages criticism through interdisciplinary methods and experiments with literary styles. As long as a writer meets the eligibility and publishing requirements, they can apply.
To be eligible for this grant, an arts writer must be
- an individual;
- applying for a project about contemporary visual art;
- an art historian, artist, critic, curator, journalist, or a writer in an outside field who is strongly engaged with the contemporary visual arts;
- a US citizen, permanent resident of the United States, or a holder of an O-1 visa (if your application advances to the final round, you will need to submit current documentation);
- at least twenty-five years old;
- a published author (specific publication requirements vary for each project type).
Writers are invited to apply in one of the following categories:
- Short-Form Writing
For questions concerning The Andy Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The primary focus of the Foundation’s grant making activity has been to support the creation, presentation and documentation of contemporary visual art, particularly work that is experimental, under-recognized, or challenging in nature. The program has been both pro-active in its approach to the field of cultural philanthropy and responsive to the changing needs of artists. A strong commitment to freedom of artistic expression led the Foundation to play an active advocacy role for artists during the culture wars of the 1990s and continues to inform its support of organizations that fight censorship, protect artists’ rights and defend their access to evolving technologies in the digital age.
Andy Warhol Foundation
65 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10012