Art Calls Art in the Orchard
U.S. National Deadline: April 1, 2021 – Outdoor Sculpture and Installations: Art In the Orchard (AIO) is seeking sculptures and installations for its Sixth Biennial outdoor exhibit in Easthampton, Massachusetts. This biennial is expected to draw more than 20,000 visitors from August 10th to November 28th and feature 30 works.
Art in the Orchard is open to any artist who can exhibit a durable outdoor work. Sculptors may submit up to three different works (include one application for each sculpture submitted). Only one work per artist will generally be accepted.
Sculptures must be suitable for sustained outdoor display, be able to withstand extreme weather conditions such as high winds, rain storms, wildlife, sun and the general public, including children.
Selected artists will receive a $500 honorarium (totaling $15,000). A residency is possible in July, upon inquiry, for artists who need to be on-site while they create installations conceived for this setting.
Work containing elements of the whimsical, absurd, or surreal and those that elicit emotional responses are encouraged, as well as kinetic and site-specific work. AIO was awarded the prestigious Gold Star Award for exemplary community arts project.
The exhibition will include both invited and juried sculptors. The jury’s selection criteria will include:
- Conceptual strength, originality and craftsmanship
- Integration of themes: Absurd, Surreal, Whimsical, and/or Emotional
- Kinetic or site specific works
- Past public exposure of the sculpture
- Exhibition diversity and general fit for this rural setting
- Installation feasibility, appropriateness for the site, public safety
APPLY ONLINE – $20 submission fee
- April 1 Deadline for Applications
- May 1 Notification of Jury Selections
- July 15 – 31 Installation by Appointment
- August 1 – Nov 28 Exhibition and Events
- August 15 Opening Reception*
- August 22 Full Moon Walk*
- November 28 Closing Day
- TBD Awards Ceremony & Festivities