Compete Brain Bridge Lab Art Contest
U.S. National Deadline: April 1, 2024 – The Brain Bridge Lab is hosting an art contest, challenging artists to try to create either the most memorable or forgettable work of art! The University of Chicago’s Brain Bridge Lab deals with the bridge between perception and memory. Specifically, we research questions about the perceptual inputs and outputs of the human memory system.
- Artists must be located within the continental US.
- Artists may only submit once to the contest, either to the Memorable or Forgettable category, NOT BOTH.
- Submitted artwork must be able to be shipped to Chicago, IL, without being altered.
- Submitted artwork must be able to be hung on a wall (on a nail, hook, screws, etc.).
- Submitted artwork must not be more than 36 x 36 inches.
- Submitted artwork must be accompanied by AT LEAST 5 PROGRESS PICTURES (photos of the artwork as it is in progress).
- No sculpture or other 3-dimensional works are allowed.
- No photography is allowed.
- No artwork with extreme gore or gratuitous nudity will be accepted. We will have the gallery open to the public, including children.
The top 5 winners in each category will receive a cash prize, with $1000 first-place prizes, and the top 20 artworks in each category will be displayed at the Connect Gallery in Chicago’s Hyde Park. Unlike traditional art contests, the winners of each category will be determined solely based on the artwork’s “Memorability Score,” or how well they manipulate the memory of the viewer.
Prizes for both the Memorable and Forgettable categories are as follows:
1st Place = $1000
2nd Place = $500
3rd Place = $250
4th Place = $100
5th Place = $50
Lastly, Bedrock Productions, an Emmy nominated film production company is interested in working with artists who are planning on entering the contest. If you are interested in being contacted by Bedrock about participating in filming, please click the “Filming Opportunity” button on our website.
APPLY – No Fee
Please check out our lab’s website for more info and sign up for our mailing list to be notified when submissions open and for any updates to the contest!
Participants will likely be notified of results by April 5th, and if selected, must ship their artworks by April 12th
All artworks in the gallery can be sold, but are not required to be for sale. All sales of artworks will be handled between Connect Gallery and the artist. The Brain Bridge Lab is not responsible for or involved in the sale of artworks.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we look forward to seeing your artwork!
University of Chicago
5848 S. University Ave
Chicago, IL 60637