Compete This is Gender 2021
International Deadline: January 3, 2021 – This is Gender, the global photography competition hosted by Global Health 50/50, is back. Now in our second year, we invite photographers to share their vision of what gender looks like and to submit photographs that explore the diverse ways in which gender norms – rigid and fluid, traditional and progressive – are lived and subverted by men, women and non-binary people.
The COVID-19 pandemic has held a mirror up to society and revealed our relationship to our environments, each other and the systems in which we live. In turn, the pandemic has exposed existing social fractures and inequalities. As borders have closed and our gaze has turned inward, the pandemic has both exasperated pervasive and restrictive notions of gender roles and catalysed transformations in the gendered landscape.
At this moment of global upheaval, lives and society at large are being impacted and changed in diverse and gendered ways. It’s now more important than ever to produce and distribute imagery that reflects the diverse realities of gender. We encourage photographers to contribute to expanding the imagery associated with the concept of gender by exploring, for example:
- How the landscape of work – professional, domestic, care or otherwise – is gendered
- How gender intersects with health and wellbeing
- How politics and commercial industries exploit gender roles and how they are challenged
- How gender intersects with other aspects of identities and vulnerabilities
- We are particularly interested, but not exclusively, in works that contemplate these topics in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
All photographic and photojournalistic forms are welcome and photographers from low- and middle-income communities and countries are particularly encouraged to participate. Winners will be decided by a panel of international experts in photography, visual culture, gender and global health.
- £500 cash prize for first place and cash prizes available for secondary category awards.
- Global exposure across our platform, media partnerships and through our world-recognised annual report.
- Opportunity to have your work featured in a curated exhibition (online if COVID-19 dicatates).
- Opportunity to join our global photographer database and connect with organisations and individuals seeking imagery to complement their work in global health and development.
- GH5050 certificate for outstanding depiction of gender.
APPLY ONLINE – No Entry Fee
Each contestant may submit no more than two images per submission (entrants can submit up to three times) accompanied by the following elements:
- A brief narrative on the significance of the image to the themes of the photo contest
- Where and when the photo was taken
- Short artist biography
- Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
This is Gender 2021 builds on the momentum of our inaugural photography competition in which we received over 400 submissions from 53 countries across 7 regions of the world and received global praise and international coverage, including major coverage and photo essay feature in the Guardian.
Global Health 50/50 is an independent, evidence-driven initiative to advance action and accountability for gender equality in global health. When we formed GH5050, our collective agreed on a simple principle as a goal. The collective and its work can only be deemed a success when global health policy and organisational decision-making puts a gender lens, gender equality and health equity at the core of all it does.