Portfolio Carroll Gallery & Birke Art Gallery’ Open Call for Exhibitions
International Deadline: Ongoing – Marshall University’s School of Art & Design accepts submissions from emerging to professional artists for solo and group shows in the fall and spring. We have two galleries of varying sizes: The Carroll Gallery and the Birke Art Gallery located in Huntington WV. All visual arts media are legible for consideration.
Please note that artist(s) are responsible for the cost of delivery and return shipping for their work and their travel expenses. Some gallery installation and promotional expenses are covered by the Marshall University School of Art & Design depending on the needs of the artist(s).
- Solo, Two Person/Group Exhibition Proposal
- Open to all artists and curators 18 years and older
- All visual arts disciplines are accepted
- Artwork will remain on display for the duration of the exhibit
- Shipping is the responsibility of the artist. Work may be hand delivered or shipped.
- Digital Submissions Only (email preferred, mailed proposal materials will not be returned)
- The gallery will retain the submitted proposal and images of exhibited artwork and reserves the right to use the images in publications and gallery publicity.
- All works submitted will be reviewed by gallery committee members with a broad range of expertise. While artists may provide a specific goal for an exhibit, the final selection and
layout of works will be determined by the gallery curator in consultation with the artist. Artists should bear in mind the need for a consistent and very strong body of work when submitting.
- All work selected for the exhibition must arrive ready to install. Works not gallery-ready may be omitted from the exhibit. Accepted work that differs significantly from the submitted images will be disqualified.
PROPOSAL & IMAGES
To send via email: (email@example.com). The email submission should include the artist’s full name as subject along with ‘PROPOSAL submission.’ The submission must meet the following specifications:
- One page, expressing your specific interest in showing artwork in our one of the galleries at Marshall University and an explanation of the exhibition proposal (including installation requirements).
- Each artist may submit up to 10 digital jpeg images accompanied by an image list document (title, date, media, dimensions, and price)
- File names (for images AND other documents) = artist’s last name (underscore) first name, followed by the entry number as noted on the proposal form (i.e.Jones_Mike_1.jpg).
- Detail, installation, or alternate view images must include the word ‘detail’ in the filename (i.e. Jones_Mike_1detail1.jpg). Detail info should NOT be included on the entry form.
- The image files should be in HIGH QUALITY JPEG format, images should be no smaller than 1000 pixels in width and 72dpi. No larger than 2000 pixels in width. No larger than 2MB per image.
- Video work should be sent with similar naming conventions in a quicktime compatible format file (preferably not DVD format for the jury process). If selected, a DVD copy will be requested for gallery presentation
- Resume and brief bio of artist(s)
To send via post:
Mailed submissions should be sent to:
Marshall University: School of Art and Design
Visual Arts Center
927 Third Avenue
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV. 25755
Please submit images on a CD following the image specifications and accompanied by the additional required proposal materials outlined above.
The gallery will insure objects lent to it at the time of delivery for the insurance value indicated on the entry form. The Birke Art Gallery and the Visual Arts Center Gallery will insure against all risks of physical loss or damage from any external cause while on location during the period of loan. The usual exclusions will apply for loss or damage that may occur by any event beyond the control of the university.
For further information, contact the Gallery Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
1 John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755