Compete Ruth Borchard Self Portrait Prize
International Deadline: March 31, 2023 – The Ruth Borchard Collection invites all artists to enter the Prize to celebrate the practice of self portraiture.
From the submissions 250 artists will be invited to participate in an exclusive online selling exhibition. Shared and promoted via an exclusive Ruth Borchard Collection virtual gallery and Artsy online viewing room this gives artists the opportunity to have their work seen by international collectors.
Alongside the winning artwork a curated selection of distinguished and shortlisted artworks will be exhibited at The Atkinson Museum, Southport, from September – December 2023. The exhibition will coincide with the Liverpool Arts Biennial.
Entries will be accepted from artists of all ages and abilities and can be in any size or medium.
- The artwork must be a self-portrait. All variations of work – figurative or abstract, alone or in a group, from life or from memory – will be accepted.
- The artwork must have been created in the year of or after 2000.
- There are no restrictions of size of work. If submitting a very large work we suggest you submit images showing the detail in addition to the main entry showing the whole artwork in one image.
- We welcome a wide variety of media, including but not restricted to; painting, drawing, digital art, photography, sculpture, tapestry and ceramics. If you are unsure about whether your practice qualifies please contact us.
- Multi-part works, i.e. works in the form of a diptych or triptych etc., are eligible and will be regarded as one work. The main image on the entry should show the whole artwork or only the first part will be considered as the entry.
The judges include Gabriele Finaldi (Director of the National Gallery), Melanie Gerlis (Financial Times Art Market Columnist), Andrea Rose (former Director of the British Council), Stephen Whittle (Principal Manager The Atkinson Museum), Lucy Jones (2021 Prize Winner) and David Borchard (grandson of Ruth Borchard).
From the artworks submitted the 2023 prize judges will select a winner of the £10,000 Ruth Borchard Prize and a number of distinguished entries will be acquired for the Next Generation Collection.
This is £35.00 from a UK based bank account and £45.00 if payment is being made from overseas.
DOWNLOAD PROSPECTUS / APPLY ONLINE
Ruth Borchard Collection and Self-Portrait Prize are funded by a charitable foundation and the submission fee goes a small way to covering the cost of running the Prize.