Competitions Aperture Magazine’ Portfolio Prize
International Deadline: January 23, 2019 – Aperture magazine is now accepting entries for our annual ‘Aperture Portfolio Prize’.
The first-prize winner will be published in Aperture magazine and will receive a $3,000 cash prize along with an exhibition in New York. Additionally, the winner and up to four runners-up will be featured in an online gallery on aperture.org. All finalists are announced in the foundation’s e-newsletter, which reaches over fifty thousand subscribers across the globe, including curators, critics, and members of the photography community. The winner and runners-up may also have an opportunity to participate in Aperture Foundation’s limited-edition print program.
This year, the sole entry requirement for entering the Portfolio Prize is to be an Aperture magazine print subscriber. Subscriptions must be current through Spring 2019, issue #234.
Once you’ve registered, you will need to provide the following before the January 23, 2019 deadline:
- Aperture magazine account number (required)15 images with title/caption information
- Statement about your work (250 words maximum)
- Bio (250 words maximum)
When examining entries, Aperture’s editors and curatorial staff will consider the following criteria:
- Is the work new, i.e., created in the past five years?
- Is a theme or topic carried throughout the portfolio in a fully resolved, consistent manner?
- Are each of the images individually strong?
- What technical and presentation choices has the photographer made, and are they appropriate for the work? For example, is there a clear reason for the work being in black and white versus a digitally enhanced palette?
- Does the body of work take an innovative or unique approach to the subject matter?
- January 23, 2019: Deadline. Call for entries closes at 11:59 p.m. EST. Absolutely no exceptions are made for late submissions. Please allow ample time to subscribe to the magazine and complete your entry, submitting well in advance of the deadline.
- April 2019: Announcement of shortlisted finalists.
- April 2019: Announcement of winner.
- December 2019: Winner is published in the Winter 2019 issue of Aperture magazine.
- December 20189–February 2020: Exhibition of the winning portfolio is on view in New York.
Aperture, a not-for-profit foundation, connects the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, the sharpest ideas, and with each other — in print, in person, and online. Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography”, Aperture today is a multi-platform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally.
547 West 27th Street, 4th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10001