Competitions Realism: Encountering the Real
International Deadline: May 5, 2020 – Site:Brooklyn is calling for artist entries for our upcoming juried exhibition, ‘Realism: Encountering the Real’, on display June 12, 2020– July 11, 2020.
Realism is the art of everyday life. Historically, realism heralded a move away from the historical and academic modes of art making and towards a concern with both naturalist styles and realistic subjects. Now, realism’s position in the art world is more complex. Once considered dated, more and more artists are using realist techniques in incisive and original ways.
Site:Brooklyn is looking for works across all media that engage with the renewed importance of realism today. This exhibition is open to all artists 18 years of age or older worldwide.
ABOUT THE JUROR
Sara Roffino is the executive editor of Cultured magazine and was previously the managing editor of the Brooklyn Rail and the senior/executive editor of Art+Auction. She also works as a freelance editor and researcher for artists and art historians and is currently overseeing the archives and catalogue raisonné research for painter Larry Poons. Her writing has appeared in Art+Auction, the Brooklyn Rail, Modern Painters, Cultured, Bomb.com, Artnet News, Galerie, The Art Newspaper, Artsy, and Observer.com among other publications.
SUBMISSIONS AND FEES
Only original works may be submitted. The fee is $37.00 for up to three (3) images, $10 for each additional image.
- Maximum Size: 72” X 60” X 24” D
- All artwork must be suitably framed to a professional standard. Work must be wired or have a cleat attachment and be ready for hanging. All framed work must use Plexiglas, except hand-delivered work less than 24” x 30”. Wall mounted sculpture, canvas and wood panels do not require a frame. No clip frames, saw-tooth hangers or taped edges are permitted.
- Video work must include all equipment. No artwork can be substituted
Visit us for complete details and online application.
Artists will be responsible for delivery and return shipping of all their artwork. The artist assumes all responsibility for insuring the artwork against shipping damage or loss.
All artwork must be priced for sale. Artwork cannot be withdrawn, nor sales shipped, before the end of the exhibit. Site:Brooklyn will retain a 50% commission on all exhibition sales.
Site:Brooklyn is not responsible for any damage, breakage, replacement or cost associated with any damage or breakage that may have occurred during transport or unpacking the work. Every precaution will be taken in handling the work, but Site:Brooklyn assumes no liability for any loss or damage to any artist’s work while in our care, custody or control, before, during or after the exhibition. Each artist, if they wish, needs to provide their own insurance.
- Final Submission Deadline: May 5, 2020 11:59 PM MT
- Notification Letter: May 13, 2020
- Gallery Exhibition: June 12, 2020– July 11, 2020
- Opening Reception: Friday, June 12, 2020 from 6-9 PM
Please direct all questions to email@example.com
Site:Brooklyn Gallery located in Brooklyn, New York is dedicated to exhibiting the current practice of contemporary artists.
165 7th Street
Brooklyn, New York 11215