Art Calls The State We’re In
International Deadline: October 16, 2022 – The Gallery is asking artists to respond to the theme – The State We’re In. The Gallery invites 10 artists from around the world to make art about ‘The State We’re In’.
Our world is in flux. The list seems endless: from the effects of climate change, to war, spiralling energy costs and inflation, seismic constitutional change – kings and queens and national identities – to debates around reproductive rights and gender politics. Can art help decode what’s happening in the twenty-first century?
The Gallery is a new kind of cultural institution without walls that challenges traditional models of viewing art. Each season we invite 10 artists to respond to critical and urgent questions of our time. The aim of the project is to generate meaningful debate and start a national conversation through art. Season 2 of The Gallery will launch in January 2023.
This initiative exists to champion ground-breaking artworks by artists at any stage of their practice. Open to practitioners aged 18+, working at any level, including students. Artists can be based anywhere in the world.
BENIFITS & FUNDING
Below is a list of what all selected artists receive, including a fee of £2,000.
All artists receive:
- A fee of £2,000
- Support from Creative Director Martin Firrell exhibition Curator Bren O’Callaghan
- An international platform to exhibit their work
- Artwork showcased online at thegallery.org.uk
- The services of a designer to format the artwork for digital and print
- Costs of production, mounting, and leasing of the advertising spaces
- Selected photographic documentation of the artwork displayed outdoors
- Scheduled online meet-ups with fellow contributing artists and team
- Participation in online discussions regarding making art for the public realm
- Invitation to exhibition launch in January 2023. If based in the UK, standard travel and one-night accommodation will be included. For artists based outside of the UK, a travel stipend of £200 towards any/all travel expenses, including visa fees and one night’s accommodation is included.
- For those based outside of the UK, Artichoke will investigate additional means of support towards travel costs where possible (e.g., from Embassies, Trusts and Foundations).
Taking over thousands of public sites reserved for advertising, The Gallery exhibits on street billboards, digital screens, bus shelters and cinemas. In July-August 2022, the artworks for Season 1 were seen by over 12 million people across the four nations of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. This is an opportunity for artistic exposure on a grand scale and to be part of the national debate.
APPLY ONLINE – No Fee
Visit us for more information and to apply. Scroll to the bottom of our Open Call page, read through the information pack and follow the instructions.
Phone: 020 7650 7611 (Mon – Fri, 10:00 – 18:00)
Artichoke produces extraordinary and ambitious ephemeral events that live in the memory forever, transforming people’s lives by changing the way they see the world.
Artichoke Trust 28