Competitions Home: A Juried Exhibition
International Deadline: October 1, 2016 – Highly regarded ARC Gallery and Educational Foundation presents this juried exhibition which investigates how home is perceived in a variety of contemporary contexts.
Homelessness, routine eviction, migrant work, and the refugee crisis all affect our understanding of home. This exhibition seeks to explore the concept of home in light of these current international and domestic contexts. What does the concept of home mean for the individual and community. Creative investigations and explorations can include, but is not limited to, artistic inquiries of social and cultural identity, economic and political status, gender identity, and ethnic and/or religious heritage.
Exhibition Dates: November 23 – December 17.
All mediums and materials are eligible including video and performance for submission. In order to be considered, the artwork submitted must reference the theme “Home.”. Due to space limitations no projections or media-based installations will be accepted.
– Trevor Martin, Director of Exhibitions and Associate Curator, School of the Art Institute of Chicago. A multi-media artist, he is also a lecturer in the School’s performance department. Associated with SAIC since 1998, Martin has lead projects that bridge education and creative research involving guest artists, faculty, and students and organized numerous exhibitions around performance and multi-media work.
– Asha Veal Brisebois, a graduate student in art administration and policy student at School of the Art Institute Chicago, will serve as co-juror with Mr. Martin, as part of ARC’s educational and mentoring program initiatives.
Three monetary awards will be given out for this exhibition: Best in Show and two honorable mentions.
$40 for one to three images. $10 for each additional image
Works will be for sale unless noted as NFS (not for sale) on the entry form. ARC does not take commission on any work sold, but will act as a liaison for sales of the artists’ work.
- Deadline for Submission: October 1 at 11:59pm CST
- Notification of Acceptance: Will go out by email October 31 and November 1
- Work Delivered to ARC: November, 16, 17, 18, 19 between 12-6pm only (gallery hours)
- Exhibition Dates: November 23 – December 17
- Opening Reception: Friday, December 2, from 6pm – 9pm
- Pick-Up Work at Gallery: December 18th: 4pm – 7pm; December 19th: 12pm – 4pm
- Shipped Work Return Date: Week of December 19. Date & time TBA**
Please feel free to contact gallery, during gallery hours, should you have any questions about show, submitting work, or prospectus.
ARC Gallery is an internationally recognized exhibition space that has been an integral part of the Chicago art scene since its inception in 1973. Founded during the women’s movement as an alternative to the mainstream gallery system, ARC is one of the oldest co-ops of its kind in the country.
ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation
2156 N. Damen
Chicago, IL 60647