Competitions Joshua Tree National Park Art Exposition
NOTE: This opp listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
International Deadline: July 15, 2017 – In recognition of a long-standing tradition between artists and our national parks, in 2013 Joshua Tree National Park Council for the Arts created an annual art exposition event and juried exhibition featuring art depicting or inspired by the unique aspects of Joshua Tree National Park or its cultural history.
This year’s exhibition will hang at the historic 29 Palms Art Gallery at the Oasis of Mara, next to park headquarters, Sept. 1–Oct. 1, 2017, with a gala reception and awards ceremony at the gallery on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017.
Joshua Tree National Park attracts more than 2.5 million visitors each year from around the globe.
Open to living artists, working in various media, from around the world, age 18 and over.
Artwork(s) must be original work created by the artist within the last five (5) years and not previously submitted as an entry for a JTNP Art Exposition juried exhibition. Artwork may be:
- Painting: Oil, acrylic, watercolor, goauche.
- Works on Paper: Drawing, printmaking, computer generated art; chalk, charcoal, pastels, pencil, wax crayons; inks and washes applied by pen or brush.
- Photography: Color or black and white.
- Mixed Media: 2- and 3-dimensional works incorporating more than one type of material, including assemblage and collage.
- Sculpture: Including wood, metal, stone, glass, mosaics, ceramics, fiber, fabric, and recycled materials.
Diane Best, artist, landscape painter, filmmaker of non-narrative moving image work, Joshua Tree, CA. Jenny Kane, artist and educator, painter, photographer, designer/interactive sculpture installations, Joshua Tree, CA. Billy Shire, Curator, La Luz de Jesus Gallery and Soap Plant / Wacko, Los Angeles, CA.
AWARDS & OPPORTUNITIES
Artists are eligible for cash awards (First $1,500, Second $1,250, Third $1,000, Honorable Mention awards $250).
Artists’ work selected for the juried exhibition will be featured in an exhibition catalogue and will be for sale during the month-long exhibition. Artists may sell additional artwork in a complimentary 10×10 booth space during exposition weekend.
Use the online entry form on our website, or email images and bio (see prospectus of email). Artists without access to a computer may submit entry fee, artist bio and images on CD or thumb drive via mail indicate on the Prospectus.
Aug. 1, 2017 – Artists will be notified of acceptance into juried exhibition by email or mail.
A 35% commission on works sold during the show will be retained by JTNP Council for the Arts and 29 Palms Art Gallery.
Artists selected for the juried exhibition have an opportunity to sell additional artwork in a complimentary 10×10 artist booth space at the Art Market during the Art Expo weekend Sept. 16 & 17. Artists must supply their own pop-up tent and tables, etc. Art Market will be located on the lawn at historic 29 Palms Inn, with live music, food and beverages, nextdoor to 29 Palms Art Gallery at the Oasis of Mara.
- Juried Exhibition Entry Deadline: July 15, 2017
- Artists Announced: August 1, 2017
- Juried Art Exhibition: Sept 1–Oct 1, 2017, 29 Palms Art Gallery
- Reception & Awards: September 16, 2017, (5 to 8 p.m.) 29 Palms Art Gallery
Art Exposition Weekend: September 16 & 17, 2017 (Sat. & Sun., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- 29 Palms Inn – 29palmsinn.com
- 29 Palms Art Gallery – 29palmsartgallery.com
- 29 Palms Creative Center – 29palmsart.com
- Joshua Tree National Park HQ – nps.gov/jotr
- Oasis Visitor Center – joshuatree.org
Joshua Tree National Park Council for the Arts was formed in 2013-2014 to help foster the spirit of artistic expression inspired by the park, celebrate the park’s majestic landscape and precious wildlife, preserve the park’s cultural history, and support the preservation, enhancement, and sustainability of the entire California Deserts Region.