Grants Artist Relief Fund
U.S. National Deadline: Monthly – To support artists during the COVID-19 crisis, a coalition of national arts grantmakers have come together to create an emergency initiative to offer financial and informational resources to artists across the United States.
Artist Relief will distribute $5,000 grants to artists facing dire financial emergencies due to COVID-19; serve as an ongoing informational resource; and co-launch the COVID-19 Impact Survey for Artists and Creative Workers, designed by Americans for the Arts, to better identify and address the needs of artists.
To be eligible for a relief grant, applicants must be:
- Practicing artists able to demonstrate a sustained commitment to their work, careers, and a public audience;
- Experiencing dire financial emergencies due to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- 21 years of age or older;
- Able to receive taxable income in the U.S. (e.g. citizen, green card holder, and/or permanent resident who can provide a W9 and SSN or ITIN);
- Residing and working in the U.S. for the last two years;
- Not a full-time employee, board member, director, officer, or immediate family member of any of the coalition partners;
- Not previously awarded a relief grant from this fund.
Please note that the Artist Relief coalition partners will make final eligibility determinations as needed.
The fund will operate through September 2020 and will fund at least 100 artists per week. The application will be open in cycles based on these exact dates:
Cycle X: March 8 – March 31 (closes 11:59pm ET)
Cycle XI: April 1 – April 30 (closes 11:59pm ET)
Cycle XII: May 1 – May 31 (closes 11:59pm ET)
Cycle XIII: June 1 – June 23 (closes 11: 59pm ET)
At the end of each cycle, all non-funded applications will be removed from our system so that artists can reapply the following round.
Because of the anticipated volume of applications and limited funds—and toward funding equity among artists of different disciplines, geographic locations, and backgrounds—applications will be reviewed on a week-by-week basis by Artist Relief coalition partners and representatives from collaborating cultural organizations across the country. After review, qualifying applications will be selected via a lottery process for funding each week. Artists who do not receive funding are invited to re-apply each month.
Artist Relief Fund is an initiative organized by the Academy of American Poets, Artadia, Creative Capital, Foundation for Contemporary Arts, MAP Fund, National YoungArts Foundation, and United States Artists—all small to mid-sized national arts grantmakers—that have come together in this unprecedented moment guided by the understanding that the wellbeing of artists has financial, professional, social, and mental dimensions, and should be fostered with a holistic framework of support.