Art Calls Contemporary Dayton Holiday Gift Gallery
U.S. National Deadline: September 1, 2021 – The Contemporary Dayton’s Holiday Gift Gallery is the premier fine art and fine craft professional gallery show and sale in the region. Beginning with an Opening Reception on Saturday, November 20 and running through December 23, it includes targeted marketing for the biggest shopping weekend of the year—Black Friday (November 30), Small Business Saturday (November 29) and Cyber Monday (December 2) —and attracts thousands of visitors from throughout Southwest Ohio.
Presented in The Co’s downtown, loft-like, contemporary gallery space inside the newly restored Dayton Arcade and displayed on pedestals, walls and custom designed modular wood and industrial hardware cubbies, shelves, pedestals with both direct and natural lighting, the Holiday Gift Gallery is known for its high quality, unique character and wide variety of media. The warm, friendly and art-knowledgeable staff and volunteers showcase work to its best advantage each day while events like Corporate Holiday parties, Dayton’s First Friday and downtown Tree-Lighting events keep crowds coming through the show during its 5-week run.
These guidelines are to help artists determine whether their work is eligible and, particularly, to help beginning artists with expectations of professional gallery display.
- The Co seeks to exhibit work of the highest level of craftsmanship, originality, and contemporary style.
- All work must be structurally sound, safe, non-toxic, and fit for its intended use.
- A mass-produced, cluttered, or commercial appearance to the entire show or an individual artist’s display is avoided. We will not accept commercially produced display forms or structures nor signs, flyers, business cards or any other form of advertising for other shows, artist’s website, Etsy site or other sales-oriented site.
- The Co curates the display and items from the artist’s inventory, holds some items in back inventory and moves and adjusts displays around weekly. The Co reserves the right to make these adjustments.
- Small, creative Item description tags are encouraged, and The Co staff is available for consultation on size, media, and presentation/attachment to artwork. (The Co produces inventory bar code stickers which must be placed on bottom or back of objects, preferably on an artist-made hang tag, never directly on jewelry or fiber or the front of 2D work)
- The Co encourages artists to invite their mailing list to the Holiday Gift Gallery (artists receive 25 postcards for this purpose, more can be made available upon request) and collector’s gatherings, tours and events are encouraged.
- All gallery sales during the run of the Gift Gallery must be administered through The Co.
AUDIENCE & SALES
The Co membership of 600 community members and artists, as well as longtime Co collectors, out-of-town visitors and thousands of local visitors look forward to the Holiday Gift Gallery each year. Our devoted attendees appreciate fine art and fine craft and are ready to buy gifts and for their own homes for the holidays.
Up to 75 artists will be invited to participate. Sales commission split is 60:40, artist’s favor. The Co manages and processes all cash, check and credit card sales. In addition, the Director selects 10-12 items to highlight and offer for purchase through The Co’s website, E-blasts and social media.
Buyers are most drawn to one-of-a-kind, hand-crafted ornaments with a retail range price point of $23. The next most popular is handmade jewelry, ceramic (mostly functional) glass, fiber (knit, silk, felted items) and wood, ranging retail between $24-300
- Any artist may participate; as the Holiday Gift Gallery is a benefit of The Co Membership, non-member exhibitors will be asked to become a Co Member by the opening of the show. Membership starts at $25 for students; $50 for individuals; $75 for Family/Duo
- CURRENT CO MEMBERS: Email Curatorial Assistant at email@example.com or call 937/224.3822
- Artists must be the maker, designer, creator and producer of the work
- Submission images should exemplify representative works, but do not need to include all works to be exhibited. Please only include media that will be available to show and sell.
- The Co’s Exhibition and Program Committee will jury the work.
- Jurors will rank all submissions on level of craftsmanship, originality and contemporariness (i.e., items such as country crafts, anything made in a commercial mold or with a commercial kit, commercially manufactured clothing or household items with artist embellishment, dried flower wreaths and alphabet photography would not be considered)
- Final item selection and inventory will be approved by The Co staff. (Limited multiples of ornaments and other small items is encouraged, but generally not to exceed 10 of the same item.)
Free for current The Contemporary Dayton (The CO) Members. $10 for non-Members, payable in person, by calling the office, 937/224-3822 or mailing a check to 25 W. Fourth St., Dayton OH 45402
ADVERTISING & PROMOTION
The Co’s Holiday Gift Gallery consistently ranks as one of Ohio Magazine’s top fine art shows in the region, will be reviewed in the Dayton Daily News among others, and is a great opportunity to both exhibit in a professional gallery and garner new sales and collectors. The show is promoted through printed invite (3,000), poster distribution, press release (45 regional media), TV, radio and online (website, bi-weekly E-blast to 3,200, social media) as well as integrated into regional Convention & Visitors Bureau websites, 40+ online calendars and event sites.
- Sept. 1 SUBMISSION DEADLINE
- Sept. 8-18 Schedule new artist interviews
- Sept. 30 Acceptance Notification, Inventory List and Consignment Form Emailed
- Sept. 22- Oct. 10 Completed checklist returned to The Co, Inventory Barcode Stickers mailed to the artist
- Oct 20-26 Drop-off by appointment (The Co approves final items and pricing)
- Nov 20 Holiday on Ice—Opening Reception
- Dec 23 Final Day of exhibition
- Dec 29-Jan. 8, 2022 Remaining inventory pick-up by appt.
- Jan 30, 2022 Commission checks mailed to artists
The Dayton Visual Arts Center (DVAC), a 501c3 established in 1991, helps sustain the arts community by providing a place to exhibit, market, and sell work and also helps satisfy the needs and wants of art-lovers who have a place to see artists’ work and, often, meet the artists. At its core, DVAC advances art for the community and a community for artists.
DVAC receives operating support from the Ohio Arts Council, Culture Works, Montgomery County Arts & Cultural District, The Dayton Power & Light Foundation and the Virginia W. Kettering Foundation. Community Partner Members include Houser Asphalt & Concrete, LMG-Lunne Marketing Group, LWC Inc., Mousaian Oriental Rugs , Premier Health, Square One Salon & Spa and members.
Dayton Visual Arts Center
118 North Jefferson St.
Dayton, OH 45402