Residency PrattMWP 2023/2024 AIR Program
International Deadline: March 20, 2023 – The Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute Artists-in-Residence program (AIR) is an education-based residency that allows one to two emerging artists to live, work, and teach on the Munson-Williams and PrattMWP College of Art & Design campus in Utica, New York for one academic year.
The AIR program is designed for emerging artists or recent visual arts MFA graduates interested in working in art education in community arts and college curricula while receiving support to develop a vibrant, self-directed studio practice. A successful AIR applicant works in PAINTING and/or DRAWING within the traditional and/or expanded field. A mastery of 2D foundation principles is desired.
Programming includes presenting a public lecture, teaching community arts education classes, holding a public open studio event, and designing and implementing accessible community projects with various departments on campus. Artists receive financial support, housing, meals, studio, and an exhibition in the Museum of Art.
The 2022/23 AIR program discipline is PAINTING/DRAWING. A successful AIR applicant works in PAINTING and/or DRAWING within the traditional and/or expanded field. A mastery of 2D foundation principles is desired. Applicants are MFA preferred. Applicants may not be enrolled in any degree program at time of residency. Disciplines rotate each academic year.
- A successful AIR applicant works in PAINTING and/or DRAWING within the traditional and/or expanded field. A mastery of 2D foundation principles is desired.
- Residency is nine months, August 14, 2023 through May 14, 2024.
- Call for artists rotates through disciplines each academic year.
- One artist is in residence for the 2023/24 academic year.
- Artists receive two stipend payments of $1,250, one in September and one in January for a total of $2,500.
- Residency includes paid fall and spring semester non-credit teaching opportunities in the Community Arts Education program; and paidPrattMWP College of Art and Design teaching opportunities** (Courses may include the following areas: 2D Foundations, Drawing, Painting, or Illustration.)
- Residency includes a fall artist talk, winter open studio, spring Museum of Art solo exhibition, and promotion for these events.
- Artists have access to a private studio with 24/7 access.
- Artist is provided with a furnished private apartment in the heart of the Munson-Williams campus.
- Residency includes a dining hall meal plan. (19 meals per week while college program is in session)
APPLY ONLINE – $10 Application
Munson-Williams is a multicultural arts center with three main divisions: Museum of Art, School of Art and Performing Arts. Together, the programs of the three divisions make Munson-Williams the chief provider of cultural resources in the region. The Museum of Art is renowned for its art collection and Phillip Johnson-designed building. The School of Art offers the nationally accredited PrattMWP foundation program in its affiliation with Pratt Institute and a community arts education program offering art classes and workshops. The Performing Arts division offers a wide-ranging, year-round programming of artistically excellent and diverse performing arts and cinema presentations, as well as extensive educational activities.
PrattMWP College of Art and Design is an NASAD accredited foundation college art program, created through an affiliation between Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, NY, and Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY. Students do their first two foundation years of a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree here at our campus and then matriculate to the Brooklyn campus for completion. The campus houses approximately over 200 students majoring in Fine Arts, Communications Design, Photography, and Art and Design Education. Visit the PrattMWP website for more information about the college.
Munson-Williams is located in the heart of New York State, foothills of the Adirondack Mountains and centrally located with easy travel to Cooperstown, Albany, Syracuse and a few hours from Boston, NYC, Lake Placid, and Montreal. Please visit us at www.mwpai.org.
Munson-Williams is a community-centered, anti-racist organization where we foster diversity, equity, and inclusion through action.
Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute
310 Genesee Street
Utica, New York 13502